Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My First Road Bike

I got my first road bike as a gift from my parents when I was sixteen. It was a Schwinn Prelude, powder pink, with shimano 105 components. It was a great little bike. Up until that point I had been riding a borrowed Peugot that was too big for me. I affectionately called it the "Gas Pipe Special". I used to lace up my Eddie Merckx cleated shoes, slip on my Kucharic wool jersey, tighten up my rat traps and ride with friends.

Here I am with my pink Schwinn, riding back from Leo Carillo Campground with Explorer Post Troop 46 (bubble note compliments of my Mom).

It took many years to find my pace and to learn to actually love climbing. I cried my way up more hills than I can remember. It was always more dificult when my boyfriend (who rode with the South Bay Wheelmen every Sunday) rode ahead, then come back to see how I was doing over, and over, and over again. Those of you who are familiar with the rides in Southern California know that Vandenburg Grade in the Solvang Century can break just about any beginning rider. I have riden past muscle ladden marines heaving on the side of the road on that hill. One of my crowning achievement was being the official "last rider in" one year. But by the last time I road the Solvang I made decent time (most likely because I drafted behind a tandem for about 85 miles).

So, that little pink bike took me all over the place for years. I eventually gave it to a friend and purchased a Medici Touring bike that I had custom built specifically for a 2 week tour through Vermont. Awesome trip! I still have that Medici; although it's feeling neglected. It wags its tail every time I go out in the garage. Seven years ago I had to stop ALL of the outdoor sports I used to take part in due to an injury. Now I'm an out of shape 38 year old, hoping to get back on her bike. I get great motivation from watching the pro races on Versus, Cycling TV and local races like the Tour of California. I look forward to getting on my bike soon. My goal is to get into shape so I can ride with a local cycling group here in the High Desert.

Other than that, I am an artist, I play folk music for money (no kidding), and I just got my old pink bike back from my friend. It looks great!

No comments: